Sunday, December 5, 2010

Winter Ales Abound

I love Christmas. The weather, the feeling I get during this time of year, the decorating, food, lights, and winter beers make it all that much better.

Trader Joes, Unibroue Vintage Ale 2010
This is made by Unibroue, the well-reputed makers of La Fin Du Monde, Blanche de Chambly, and other amazing beers. Unibroue is in Chambly, Quebec, Canada. This year's Trader Joe's Vintage Ale (they custom make one each year for Trader Joe's) is by far my favorite of the past three years. Smooth, sweet and malty, three of my favorite adjectives when it comes to beer. 9% abv means you can enjoy a couple of pints of this delicious liquid. I like it after dinner with a gingerbread cookie.
Apologies for the terrible picture.


21st Amendment, Fireside Chat
Had this at Tap House last night...very disappointed with their selection, as they were out of four of their more popular winter beers, including a Russian River I had my eye on. A little bit hoppy, but mostly malty, this dark ale lives up to the high standard that 21st Amendment has set with the rest of their beers (dont judge them by the can). Mostly IPA's, 21st Amendment brews out of San Francisco. Definitely recommend trying out the Fireside Chat. You could even go next door to Lot 3, in Bellevue, and try this brewery's Brew Free or Die IPA...in a can.

Big Al, Winter Warmer
I've never had a Big Al before, despite seeing them on tap fairly often...being from Seattle (brewed in White Center...probably wont venture over there.) Not terribly impressed...no distinct flavor stood out, a tiny hint of coffee, but other than that, a very basic dark ale. I presume you'd drink this if you were having a very flavorful meal that you didn't want to interrupt.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment