Saturday, November 13, 2010

Friday 11/12 at Tap House

Ahhh winter beers are in at Tap House. T.H. has over 100 beers on tap, standard, including many good rotating handles. 

Last night, I was in the mood for darker beers, I was still full from trying Taiwanese food for the first time for lunch, so I wasn't hungry enough for dinner, but knew a full-bodied porter would do the job. 


Kona Coffee Porter
The first time I tried this, I met a good friend at Tap House and he was having it. He claims I didn't like it because I had just demolished a plate of sushi and the fish was tainting the flavor of the beer. That may be true, because this time, I really enjoyed it. I love coffee, and the smooth porter and coffee blend really well together and are kind of smokey. Lower alcohol content, but really great, strong porter taste.

Maredsous 8
I went in a different direction with this one. The Maredsous is made by Duvel, and is fairly low alcohol (8%) for the fancy specialty glass it comes in. Definitely a black cherry taste, a little bit sweet, a little bit bitter. Very unique, not sure I'd choose it over Chimay, if I'm going to drink a beer in this category. 

Left Hand Milk Stout
YUM. Had this for the first time a few months ago at Brouwer's Stout Fest and it was love at first sip. I actually haven't had a Left Hand beer that I didn't like, and I also have yet to meet a milk stout I don't like. This may satisfy my craving for the Snow Plow that Widmer discontinued. Definitely going to be going back to this one a few more times before it leaves the wall. Super smooth, chocolately, carmely, but since it's a stout, and a milk stout, it's lighter, so you're not getting the porter molasses/smokeyness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment