Monday, November 22, 2010

Friday night with friends

We had some good friends over on Friday night, and had brats from Bill the Butcher, complete with kraut and German potato salad. YUM. Picked up 5 bottles that I had never tried before:

Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar
This is basically what I would think nectar tastes like. This beer was delicious--sweet and smooth, but light, not too sweet. Really great way to kick off the evening, especially with the Irish cheddar, salami and fig jam appetizers. I'm going to put this on our list of usuals.







Gouden Carolus Noel
Wow, this brewery is old. From Mechelen, Belgium, started in 1369. 10% alcohol. Really complex, deep flavor, I tasted a little bit of licorice and other spices. Warmed me right up.







Bridgeport Nightcap
Not my favorite of the evening--bitter and hoppy, really nothing more too it.









Port Old Viscosity 
This reminded me of Ten Fidy from Oskar Blues out of CO. REALLY dark...the name says it all...this stuff will coat your insides for a while. I should have stirred the bottle a little bit, I had the last pour and got much of the yeast I was tasting.








Ninkasi Sleighr
I've been seeing more and more Ninkasi beers and wanted to try one...so I picked a winter ale that has a rock n roll name. From Eugene, OR, It's a dark double alt ale 7.2%, very drinkable for a dark winter beer. Your basic ale taste, a little bitter, a little hoppy, but still sweet and smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment