Sunday, January 16, 2011

Friday IPA


I'm happy to welcome my good friend, Jason Golden, to my blog! Read more about Jason after you read about one of his favorite IPA's...

When the cumulative stress of the work week has finally exceeded my capacity to handle it anymore, I know it's Friday. To reset my mood for the brief respite that is the weekend, I join my coworkers in Beer O'Clock (otherwise known as an hour before we take off). In truth, the beer is usually average and exceedingly commercial, but good conversation is really the goal. Occasionally, though, we up the ante and reach for a beer that puts us in our perfect spot. For me, that's Indian Pale Ale (IPA).

There's a lot of IPA out there, but for me a classic Northwest IPA is ideal, loaded to the brim with hops, almost cloying-so. Casual beer drinkers typically reject the first sip of a loaded IPA, claiming it's too bitter or even acidic. But to me, the bitters give it edge, a sharp cliff that divides the floral aromas with the tang and long honey and copper flavor, with a hint of caramel and maybe some hazelnut.

Ironically now that I'm in Colorado, I think I may have found the best Northwest IPA I've ever had. And that brew is today's Beer O'Clock IPA.



Great Divide Titan IPA
Aromas of young pine needle tips with a hint of lemon zest and maybe hazelnut, all infused in a deluge of hops, probably Cascade. Huge edge to the hops, almost abrasively so, but yields to rich malts and tangy hops, with a long, fresh, full flavor that is so clean and balanced. 7.1% ABV.



Jason Golden lives in Denver, CO, surrounded by hundreds of Mile High breweries, including a dozen within a 30 minute walk. He prefers IPA, but is curious about pilsners and imperial stouts, and generally anything that's not a wheat beer. His wife loves wheat beer, naturally. When not drinking IPA, Jason's usually perfecting his palate at some foodie restaurant or over a glass of wine. Or he's out cycling. But usually not both at the same time. Except last week - it was awkward.

No comments:

Post a Comment